Are you sharing the same computer with your children? Do you know that when your children surfing the net, they might expose to some sexual and violent contents? While no software filter replaces parental supervision, most of the search engines like Google, Yahoo! and Bing do provide filter for safer searching that can help to prevent adult content from appearing in the search results. Although SafeSearch filters are not 100 percent accurate, but they should help you avoid most of this type of material. Simply follow the step by step guidance below to enable SafeSearch feature on Google, Yahoo! and Bing.
How to Enable Google SafeSearch Filter
1. Go to Google Search Preferences page.
2. In the SafeSearch Filtering section, choose the SafeSearch level you’d like to use:
- Use strict filtering (Filter both explicit text and explicit images)
- Use moderate filtering (Filter explicit images only – default behavior)
- Do not filter my search results
3. Click “Save Preferences” at the bottom of the page.
Click here to find out more on how Google SafeSearch works. Or you can watch the video below to learn more about SafeSearch.
Tip: Google’s SafeSearch lock allows users to password-protect their Strict Filter setting preference. You may check out the video below to learn how to lock your SafeSearch settings.
How to Turn On Yahoo! SafeSearch Preferences
1. On Yahoo! homepage, click the “More” drop-down menu at the top of the page and select “Preferences” from the menu.
2. On the Search Preferences page, you can edit the SafeSearch settings:
- Filter out adult Web, video, and image search results – SafeSearch On
- Filter out adult video and image search results only – SafeSearch On
- Do not filter results (results may include adult content) – SafeSearch Off
3. You may consider to enable SearchScan feature which can alert you to webpages that might expose your computer to malicious software:
- Alert me to websites indicated as potentially harmful
- Do not alert me to websites indicated as potentially harmful
4.Click “Finished” at the bottom of the page.
How to Change Bing SafeSearch Preferences
1. On the Bing homepage, click the “Preferences” link at the top of the page
2. In the SafeSearch section, choose the SafeSearch level you’d like to use:
- Strict Filter out adult text, images, and videos from your search results.
- Moderate Filter adult images and videos but not text from your search results.
- Off Don’t filter adult content from your search results.
3. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page.